THE FIBROMYALGIA GIRL

..............................................................................................................................................................................................

Friday 26 February 2010

A little lesson in pain


Pain is a very subjective thing. You have heard people talk about pain levels, high tolerance to pain, low tolerance to pain, and how pain effects different people.

Everyone will have had pain at some point. Whether this is from stubbing your toe, having a tooth out, the common paper cut or even just the usual 'aches and pains' we all talk about, you know pain when you have it. It hurts right?

Sometimes, you have a more serious pain, could be surgery pain, or an indicator or something else wrong. Ever had the pain so bad you were screaming for something to take it away? Even had chronic pain that just didn't go away?

Pain for fibromites is one of the biggest factors of the illness. Some describe it as burning pain, deep aching pain, to stabbing acute, all consuming. It seems to effect people in different ways, and at different levels and can rise and fall in intensity depending on the flare up you are having.

Pain for me does vary, but it's mostly horrible. My neck is the worst if I had to pick an area. This pain is like someone sticking a needle in the back of my neck and moving it about, then having a heavy weight on my shoulders, but ALL the time. Moving it about causes crunching and more pain, but distracts from the first pain for a bit. The shoulders pound and then the headaches come. These are annoying headaches which make my head feel like a lump of lead. My eyebrow lift often as I feel heavy.

Then my knees are next, my back is horrible, but this comes from being still too long, as do my hips, especially when I sleep, and once it starts it won't stop until I move about again. There is always something hurting and it's not the kind of pain you can just put aside, it takes real mental effort and some painkillers to set it back a stage and get on with a day.

This for me is the worst factor because it stops me sleeping well, it stops me functioning well, and most of all, it's a pain, a big miserable pain, that just won't stop.

Most Fibromites have this, and it's not easy to cope with it sometimes. Not easy at all.