THE FIBROMYALGIA GIRL

..............................................................................................................................................................................................

Thursday 25 February 2010

The Invisible Fibromyalgia Girl


On the 15th December my life changed forever.

That is a very specific date I hear you say. Yes, it is. It was the day that a car accident triggered the start of a chronic life long illness called Fibromyalgia.

A car did not give way on a crossroads at the moment we passed over it. We could do nothing to react in time. Despite my husband jarring his foot on the brake, we went front on into the side of the car.

First instinct was to check the children who were fine. After sorting out the mess of the car, and getting all the relevant details, and phone calls, the pain in my neck started to set in. A little stiff at first, but it got worse and worse to the point where I lost motion in it.

So lots of doctors appointments were had, pills were taken, physio was had, and even many sessions with a chiropractor. I had almost a year of treatment to take away the pain. It was my neck, my shoulders, the headaches were unreal, I had pins and needles in my arms and hands, and my back hurt a lot. I now know why this was the case and why none of the treatments worked, but at the time, I had never heard of Fibromyalgia. I didn't know about it till 2010, over 7 years later.

I had now become invisible.